Sunday, September 19, 2010

My life and lyme....

I'm not sure where to even begin. It has been a crazy journey over the last 3 or 4 years (really 6 but who's counting)! My family went through an incredible amount of stress and pain about 6 years ago....and from that time until today, my body seemed to lose energy by the day. I remember telling my husband Chris that something was just NOT RIGHT. I had mono about 9 years ago....and this definitely felt like what I had experienced. I went to different doctors and was told that I was depressed and had anxiety. So, for six years I have tried every anti-depressant on the market....some made me feel a thousand times worse and then the one I have been on for 3 years has not made me feel any better or worse, so I have stuck with it. My body continued to gain weight....and a lot of it. For about 2 years, I have dealt with rapid heart flutters (which concerned me)....but had EKG's and nothing showed up. I was told it was just probably anxiety. Then, over the last half of a year my body began to ache. My joints would hurt in crazy places....my hands and arms would go to sleep and I began experiencing a ton of pain. I remember telling me mom about all of these latest symptoms and her telling me that I really needed another opinion.

I think I just got to a point where I had decided that I was dying. I know that sounds drastic. But, I kept telling people that I really didn't feel depressed. I just felt every single day like I had pulled an all-nighter in college and NO AMOUNT of sleep would make me feel rested. Doctors would do blood tests and everything would be normal. I was told "You're a new mom of a 3 year old....this is just how it is." I can't tell you how many times I walked out of the doctor's office feeling overwhelmed, defeated, and hopeless. I begged God for answers. So, in early June, I went to a different doctor and told her all of my symptoms. I just burst out crying and said, "Something is so wrong with me.....I feel like I'm dying." She listened....and started writing. She looked at me and said, "It sounds like you have Lyme disease....have you been bitten by a tick." WHAT?!!!!

Fast forward, the test was POSITIVE!! I have had it for years....the last time I remember being bit by a tick was at Kanakuk Kamps in 2001. I didn't know anything about this disease. The more I have read and researched....the more my heart is broken for the thousands of people suffering. It is a very misunderstood and controversial disease. For most people, if you take anti-biotics right after the tick bites you, you will be totally fine and okay. But, there is a percentage of us that have had it for a long time and it could take YEARS of treatment to "cure" the disease. Without going into a lot of detail, treatment is very costly and most insurance companies don't want to pay for chronic lyme disease. So, my prayer is simple....healing! And, I want others to understand the disease and spread awareness.

This site is to document my journey. I am not a doctor and don't claim to have any answers...this is just about me. I decided that I could start selling my things that I don't need to raise money for my medical expenses (and to help others suffering with lyme). My prayer is that God will be glorified even in the midst of this painful time in my life. I am so thankful to the hundreds of people already praying for me.

Love you all,
Lindsey

9 comments:

  1. Good for you a blog is a great idea
    I look forward to knowing more about it as well
    Praying for your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration to others by sharing your story and raising awareness about this disease. Best of luck to you on this journey to healing and recovery. Sending prayers your way. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story. We will be praying for healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my sweet friend. My heart is breaking anew for you this morning as I read your first entries in this blog. I'm overwhelmed by the relentless waves of pain, nausea, hopelessness, and frustration you live with every day. You are such a precious momma, wife & friend that I cannot imagine how discouraging it must be to live through this season feeling so helpless & disconnected (well, I went through a similar season about 12 years ago, so I actually can identify somewhat). It's terrifying to have crazy symptoms that no one can explain (and sometimes have a hard time believing, ESP doctors). I love you so much & am praying for you. God is already using your story in powerful ways; I pray that your suffering season is short, healing comes quickly, and that you can be a voice for others from the other side of this hard place. ~Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsey,

    You are in my prayers as you have been for the past 3 years!! I cannot wait for the day to celebrate your healing...as I have gotten to celebrate other big milestones with you and Chris!

    I love you and let me know if there is anything I can do for you friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsey, I'm so glad you have found answers!! I know frustrating it is to go without answers for years. I will pray for you, for healing so you can take care of your family.

    Just know God will do beautiful things through this, for you and your family and friends. I've been on a 20+ year journey, with plenty of ups and downs. Having my third child sent me in to a relapse that I'm still dealing with. I have debilitating fatigue and pain every day, so I know what you have been going through. I rely on the Lord for every minute of every day because I really cannot do it without Him. It's only by His grace that we all make it through the day! And He will get you through each day and help you be a wonderful wife and mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lindsey. I just wanted to reach out and tell you that my mom has a dear friend with Lyme. she had been diagnosed years back with Chronic Fatigue. She has been sick for many many many years. They are still saying she has chronic fatigue but have also diagnosed her with Lyme. She is seeing some doctors in Reno and California. If you have not heard of these folks, I'd be happy to get their information for you. She is getting ready to start on a treatment that is similar to what is given to AIDS patients. It has been a long haul for her, and my prayers are that they can get this figured out for you much quicker, especially since your was a more recent diagnosis. I feel for you in the fact that it is so controversial, expensive and hard to get treatment. She travels from Texas on a regular basis to see doctors elsewhere. Please let me know if you want any of this information! Hugs and prayers to you sweet lady!!!
    stephanie capshaw
    scapshaw@utep.edu
    915-203-2971

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lindsey,
    I have been praying for you for years as we walked through Guatemala at the same time!! :) Just want you to know that I am thankful to be able to continue to follow this road to healing. So very thankful for the diagnosis as I know it is a little easier to be able to put a name on it and at least know the cause of all the things you have walked through. I am continuing to pray with you for God's healing and am honored that you have given all of us an opportunity to help you as well. God Bless and know that my prayers are constantly going up for you!!
    Much love in Christ,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. On the other hand I am glad that you finally have answers. Ticks bites are a scary thing that most people do not take seriously. The summer before last I became very ill very suddenly. I had met my sister about 4 hours away so she could have our kids for the week. I thought that I had not had enough sleep and that I was just overly fatigued. I became so ill that I could not stop shaking. My neck and head felt like they were being crushed. Thankfully my friend was driving her car. When I got home I told my husband that something was wrong. We took my temp and it was 105. I thought that I had the flu. It was early summer and the dr said that they had not seen a flu case in months. They ran some test and asked if I had any tick bites or if I had been in any tick invested areas. We had been 3 days before that. It was the worst pain ever. The fever stayed around 103-104 with meds and cold cloths for over 4 days. The pain in my neck and head was worse than I had ever experienced. I had no idea that such a thing could happen and that I might not even know about it. The only sire we found was in my ear. Needless to say we take this more seriously now and do everything we can to prevent it.

    Again I am so sorry and I only have a very small glimpse of the pain that you are going through. We will pray that God will continue to bring healing to your body and that he will give you the strength to preserver.

    AS far as your baby girl. You fought so hard for her and you took such good care of her in Guatemala. They are more resilient than we give them credit for. She knows how much you love her and she has an amazing daddy that has enough energy for both of you.

    ReplyDelete